Point of interest 

Bishop's Castle

The castle on the “Flüe” was built in the 12th century and was the residence of various noble families in the Upper Valais. After 1333 the Bishop of Sion acquired the castle, therefore the current name "Bishop's Castle". In this way the castle became the seat of the Episcopal officials and served in the 15th and 16th centuries periodically as residence of the bishop. When Cardinal Matthäus Schiner moved in 1511 into the castle a bloodshed between his 4000 followers and the 3000 men-strong troop of Georg (Jörg) Supersaxo could be avoided only with some negotiating skills. Between 1974 and 1981 the Municipality Naters acquired the property for approximately CHF 220.000 and preserved in this way the remains of the once imposing estate from destruction. A planned Hunting and Nature Museum was never realized for financial reasons. Today the premises are used by privates for agricultural purposes