The scientist and alpinist John Tyndall travelled to Switzerland for the first time in 1856. From 1861 until his death he spent the summers in the Swiss Alps, mainly at his favorite place, the Belalp. This because he enjoyed an excellent view to the Matterhorn and Aletsch glacier. Tyndall decided in 1876 to acquire an area of 5 “Fischel” (2.815 m2) for CHF 900 from the citizenry Naters and commissioned immediately the construction of a stately villa. His own four walls at Belalp became his mental and spiritual home, and a small Alpine university. The salon was located in the centre of the villa with a crescent-shaped convexity towards south.