The “loggia” at the rise to the "Stalde" in Raron was built by Stefan Maxen, the Vogt of Evian and spell lord of “Zenden Raron” in 1547/48. It is a striking evidence of the former importance of Raron in the middle of the last century. The lower floor was almost completely filled up during the flood of the Bietsch river. Therefore the arcades constructed in 1702 are visible only above the column capitals. The construction of the loggias has a remarkable resemblance with the Stockalper castle in Brig or the Burgener’s house in Visp. At the door on the north side of Maxen’s loggia is the supposedly oldest letterbox in Switzerland. It originates from the Napoleonic period, when the Valais was part of the French Empire.